This small country is one of the oldest European countries, situated in the middle of the continent in Central Europe. Hungarians speak a language, and form a culture unlike any other in the region.
This is the country:
• which boasts of one of the world’s most beautiful cities: Budapest, the “Pearl of the Danube”
• where 2000 year old Roman ruins and 400 year old Turkish monuments can be found side by side
• where Central Europe’s largest fresh water lake – Balaton – is located, providing a natural paradise for its visitors
• where hundreds of therapeutic mineral springs gush up from the depths
10 million people
Local time – GMT + 1 hour. Summer time from early March to late October (GMT + 2 hours).
Continental, hot in Summer (July, August), cold in winter when temperature falls below freezing point. From Spring to Autumn, approx. 10 hours of sunshine may be expected daily. Differences in the temperature of the four seasons are quite large. December, January and February are the coldest, July and August the hottest months.
• Hungarian Forint – HUF
• Coins: 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 Forints
• Banknotes: 500, 1 000, 2 000, 5 000, 10 000, 20 000 Forints
• There is no obligatory daily minimum amount of conversion. When changing money, remember that most shops accept credit cards and some of them even Euros. Money can be exchanged in exchange offices and banks, local ATMs give out HUF. Banks and travel agencies offer the best rates.
• The exchange offices are generally open 09:00-21:00 h
• All major credit cards are accepted in Hungary, some smaller shops might only accept cash though.
Electrical current is 220 volts, 50 Hz. European-style two-pin plugs are standard.
Health & Safety
No vaccinations are required for travel to Hungary. Tap water is safe to drink. A reciprocal health agreement with countries of the EU provides nationals with free emergency health care on presentation of a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
Health and luggage insurance is recommended. Normal precautions against petty crime should be taken.
Shop Opening hours: Monday-Friday 10:00 – 20:00 h Saturday 10:00 – 18:00 h Sunday 09:00/10:00-18:00
Except for shopping malls, which are open Monday to Sunday 10:00-20:00 (18:00 on Sundays)